Weighing out fragrance oils for your candle is important as you want there to be a consistent scent throughout the candle. The one item needed to weigh out the fragrance oils is a sensitive high accuracy digital scale. It is imperative that you use this kind of scale to be able to accurately measure out the oils. You want to have a minimum of 6% fragrance oil and no more than 12% fragrance oil.
Weighing the Fragrance Oil
- Obtain a sensitive high accuracy digital scale
- Weigh out the quantity of wax that you want to melt – for this example use 250g
- Add a cup to the scales and reset it to zero
- Carefully pour the required amount of fragrance oil into the cup – if you wanted 7% fragrance for the 250g of wax it would be 17.5g
- Once your wax is at the correct temperature, pour fragrance oil into it and mix it in
If you are going to make a large amount of candles at once you need to alter the amount of fragrance so it is relative to the amount of wax. For example:
You decided you are going to make 10 candles and they each need 250g of wax and 7% fragrance oil.
250g x 10 = 2,500g of wax
2500 x 0.07 = 175g of fragrance oil